Thursday, October 14, 2010

You're all probably wondering why a perfectly sane middle aged woman like me would want to spend six weeks every year working herself to death putting up a Halloween display; spending more money on Halloween than I will EVER admit to my husband; or worrying and planning all year long to do a fresher, bigger and better Halloween than the previous year.

Well, as most stories do, this one starts in my childhood. My Dad died when I was a kid and even though my Mom worked two jobs to support us, there just was never enough money for a big Christmas, so Halloween was my deal. Halloween did not depend on money. A few old clothes and a little imagination and you could be whatever you wanted for Halloween. Then it was just a matter of how fast your feet could carry you. And of course, you had to have a Trick or Treating plan. The people who were never home on Halloween, but always left a HUGE bowl of candy at their front door were always first. Then back down the block to the little family owned Viotti Winery. They would always decorate their back yard and all the adults would sit outside and wait for the kids to show up. I had my cheeks pinched more than once by those fun loving Italians. After that, the lady who made awesome popcorn balls. The good old days, back when kids could run loose like little Indian's and parents didn't have to worry about needles in candy or someone taking their kid.

When people ask me why I do this I tell them it's because my Mom scarred me for life (NOT.) At the tender age of 12 she told me it was my last Halloween Trick or Treating. I was devastated! I used my babysitting money and purchased the makings for a Peter Pan costume (the movie "Peter Pan" with Mary Martin had just come out.) All dressed up in store bought green tights and leotard I flew down the streets filling my bag to overflowing with candy for the very last time. After that year I got to chaperon my sister and brother on Halloween.

Now Halloween is about money, with kids picking out costumes at Halloween box stores that cost 30 or 40 bucks. This year I got to make a costume for my granddaughter, Sophie. She wanted to be a ghost and all the ghosts at the Halloween stores were too scary for her. She now has a ghost costume made of bridal quality white satin with a shimmering, ectoplasmic organza overlay. I hope someday she will understand how much that meant to me. Getting to share the whole Halloween costume experience with her. The rhythm of life repeating itself in a third generation of  excited Trick or Treaters. I like to think that someday Sophie will do the same for her children and grandchildren. I remember sewing costumes for Sophie's Mom when she was a little girl. One year I made her an angel costume with wings and a halo fashioned from coat hangers, a white feather boa and some glitter. It's still one of my favorite photos of her.

Now I am trying to pay it forward. Providing all Trick or Treaters (young and old) with the same powerful and happy memories I had as a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment